Cave Exploration Tour
After a scenic drive from Panama City to a small indigenous community on the shores of Lake Bayano, we take a small boat and navigate to the entrance of the caves. This lake is quite big and the landscape is dramatic, but the real adventure begins inside the caves, as you will immediately feel the adrenaline pumping through your veins as you walk deep into this underground river and start appreciating the most spectacular rock formations created by the hand of time. Then we reach an open area surrounded by huge stone walls, gorgeous forest and a lagoon, where everyone is invited for a refreshing swim. We have our picnic lunch and return to the native community were you can change clothes for the drive back.
- Beautiful scenery on Lake Bayano.
- Impressive rock formations inside the caves.
- Off the beaten path.
Price: US$150 per person + 7% tax | Check Availability
Includes: Pick-up/drop-off from any hotel in Panama City*, all transfers (land and water), life vest, flashlights, luch prepared by the locals (or picnic type sandwish lunch), refreshments, local guide fluent in English and Spanish.
*Dreams, Westin Playa Bonita, Intercontinental Playa Bonita are located outside Panama City limits. Pick-up/drop-off from these hotels is available at an extra cost of US$15 per person.
Skill Level (Moderate): The tour consists of walking up and down in an underground river with uneven terrain made out of sand and different size of rocks, with some bouldering at the end until reaching the lagoon. The water level inside the caves varies depending on weather conditions, it is usually a combination of ankle level, knee level, and a couple of small pools where swimming is required (with life jackets on if you need them).
Locations: Bayano Lake and Caves.
Small groups: 2 Min. – 8 Max.
- 7:00 AM Pick-up from your hotel in Panama City.
- Land transfer to Guna native community on Lake Bayano.
- Boat ride on Lake Bayano to the entrance of the caves.
- River trekking/cave exploration and lagoon.
- Luch prepared by the locals (or picnic type sandwish lunch).
- Return to native community and transfer to your hotel in Panama City (ETA 4:30 PM).
What to wear / What to pack
- Light shirt or t-shirt (quick dry fabrics works great)
- Shorts/swim suit or light long pants (avoid jeans)
- Sport/hiking shoes (sandals or any other kind of open footwear are not recommended for walking inside the caves)
- Towel and extra set of clothes to change afterwards
- Water, snack, and lunch is included; please let us know if you have dietary restrictions.
- Clothes will get wet, and they can get dirty, don’t bring anything that you “love too much”.
- Bring your passport (it is required by law in Panama to carry your passport with you at all times and there is a police check point on the way to the lake where they sometimes ask for it).
- You will leave your personal belongings in a locked vehicle right next to a police station.
- If you want to take pictures inside the caves, you have to bring a waterproof camera.
- The bathroom situation will be limited, in parts only to the great outdoors.
- You are welcome to bring light snacks for the drive back.