Embera Village Tour
Embera Village Tour Description
We leave early in the morning to a port in the Chagres National Park where we take a dugout canoe with an outboard motor up the historic Chagres River. After a magical ride through pristine rainforest, we reach the indigenous Embera village, where you will feel as close as it gets to traveling back in time.
Upon arrival you can admire the unique small sculptures made of a seed which, due to its solid texture, has been given the name of vegetable ivory. Emberas are also wood carvers and fantastic baskets weavers, their crafts are extraordinary pieces of art. Whenever they have visitors they like to perform a traditional dance for their guests and offer grilled fish for lunch served in leaves of plants. There will be time as well to walk in the village and go for a swim before heading back to civilization.
- Indigenous village in the middle of the rainforest.
- Impressive handicrafts.
Embera Village Tour Details
Price: US$150 per person | Check Availability
Small groups: 4 Min. – 10 Max. (larger family groups are accepted)
Includes: Pick-up/drop-off from any hotel in Panama City*, boat ride, lunch, water, expert local guide fluent in English and Spanish.
*Dreams, Westin Playa Bonita, Intercontinental Playa Bonita are located outside Panama City limits. Pick-up/drop-off from these hotels is available at an extra cost of US$15 per person.
Locations: Chagres River, Chagres National Park, Alajuela Lake, Embera Village.
Skill level (easy/moderate): Dugout canoe ride up and down the Chagres River seating on a piece of wood (aprox. 30 minutes each way). Boarding a dugout canoe without a dock. Steep stairs up and down to access and depart village. Optional walk in the village, up to 1 hour in length on nature trail that has steps up and down, and it crosses a couple of small creeks. Optional walk to a waterfall requiring walking on uneven terrain made out of rocks of different sizes along the shore of a small river.
- 7:00 A.M. Pick-up from your hotel in Panama City.
- Land transfer to Alajuela Lake.
- Motorized dugout canoe ride up the Chagres River.
- Embera village visit.
- Dugout canoe down the river + Optional waterfall visit.
- Drive back and drop-off at your hotel in Panama City at around 4:00 P.M.
What to Wear
- Light shirt or t-shirt.
- Shorts or light long pants (avoid jeans).
- Sport/hiking shoes (sandals or any other kind of open footwear are not recommended for walking in the rainforest).
- Hat or baseball cap
- Swim suit and a change of clothes.